Monday, October 6, 2008

Funeral Etiquette Rant

I know, weird topic, but worth talking about...

When my grandmother passed away last October, my family encountered all sorts of dumb ass shit that people say to you when someone dies. It was stuff that you don't really think about before some dies, but when it happens to you, sometimes you just wish people would shut the fuck up. Kind of like what they say in Bambi, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Not that the things people say aren't nice or thoughtful, but just inappropriate. The things that got on my family's nerves were the "If there is anything that you need, please let me know." I think this one is stupid because why the crap am I gonna call you and say I need blah blah while I'm grieving over a loved one??? The next one that bothered me was "WHAT HAPPENED????" Really people?? When you're sobbing or have stopped sobbing for a moment it doesn't mean that you WANT to rehash what happened. I know you're curious, but for real, NOT THE TIME. Attending Classy's grandmother's funeral this weekend was interesting as well. A close friend of hers showed up and Mr. Perfect and I inquired where her boyfriend was. Her reply, "Funerals aren't his thing...I didn't make him come." My reply, "Really?!? Cause I'm having a fucking blasty blast. This is exactly what I wanted to do tonight!!!" Not really my reply, but for serious, who the hell likes funerals. Creepy McCreepsters that's who!!!! Afterwards, before the burial, Classy invited Diva to attend the burial to which Diva replies, "Funerals make me queasy." Classy replies... "How do you think I feel???" Ohhhhhh, I wish I could have been there... I don't really know what I would have said, but it probably would have been something sarcastic and bitchy in true Roxie form. Again, REAAAAAAALLLY????!!! WTF?!?! Diva went anyway, and probably didn't mean anything by the comment, but just another example of stupid shit people say. A simple "I'm sorry" will do, people. I think people feel so uncomfortable and forget their manners and their common sense!

1 Toasts:

Tiff said...

So, so, true. I think everyone should read this post.