Thursday, August 28, 2008

Perceptions of Gender

I'm going to ask you all to participate in a homework assignment. One of the classes that I'm taking this semester is Intro to Women's Studies. Now, this is funny because this is the last class I have to take for my minor in Women's Studies. How did I manage that? Who knows, I guess I just jumped into all the other courses without caring about the Introduction course. Either way, one of our first assignments is to ask a question of 2 women and 2 men. My teacher has asked us to e-mail these people to get our responses, but I'm going to post on here and see what happens. Not too sure how many people read quite yet, since I don't keep my blog as updated as others, so we'll see how this works out.

"How would your life be different if you woke up tomorrow changed into a person of the other sex?"

Besides the obvious, how would your life be different? What kind of advantages and disadvantages would there be?

Feel free to say what you want I have to take notes into class so I can share what people said. The more responses the better! :)

6 Toasts:

Tiff said...

I don't know if this is too late, and it may not be helpful but...

One thing that I can think of would be, I wouldn't get criticized for wanting to go to grad school, travel, etc. rather than settle down and make babies.

P.S. I love that you are into WGS too!

Roxie said...

Not too late at all! We're not sharing this stuff in class until a week from now... Thanks so much for your response! Definitely a good point!

Anonymous said...

I think my self confidence would definately move up a few notches. Men have better self image then women do. A man can try on a shirt and have a roll coming over, and he thinks he looks hot. A woman, its another story. As well, I think men have an easier time making decisions that impact other people easier then women. Maybe its just me, but with my relationship I see my boyfriend make decision and not even think about how it is going to impact other people.

Classy Stiletto said...

I'd be sad because God knows I wouldn't be as cute. :)

But really, I think I'd be under a lot less pressure to go ahead and get married now that I have a diploma. I think that people would take me more seriously when voicing my opinions on such things as politics or religion (even though it was one of my degrees).

And it'd be a lot harder to get a free drink :)
Good luck!

ecogeek0 said...

First of all I'd be the smartest man on the planet. But seriously the biggest asset would be the penis between my legs. This is the key to acceptance and promotion in my line of work. As a park ranger I was by far more experienced and educated than the 'boys' that were being promoted ahead of me. It's unfortunate but true. Boobs don't get you promoted they only get you stared at in construction areas.

Roxie said...

ecogeek...

hahhahah.. I completely agree. How powerful a body part can be!!!

I don't envy it at all!